Sunday, March 22, 2009

Food Matters


Lately I've been thinking that a lot of health issues could be improved if people were willing to give up some of the fast and ready-made food they eat, which are not good for all sorts of reasons. So I loved finding this fascinating article in the New York Times by columnist and author Mark Bittman (“Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating”).

Some of the statistics made my hair stand on end (Americans get more calories from soft drinks (7%) than they do from fruits and vegetables!!!). But it's nice to hear someone else talking about the benefits of eating real, cook it yourself food. Maybe I'm delusional, but I'm calling it a trend!

Don't take my word for it. Take the time -- a whole minute and a half!! -- to watch the trailer (above) for the documentary "Processed People." Want to see more? Check out the second trailer (below) -- it's barely three minutes long. Even if you're not inspired to buy or rent the DVD, just remember the bottom line: Eat Food, Not Food-Like Things!

No comments: